Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My house

After two and a half months with the host family in the house above the pool hall, I have moved on to my very own place in a nice little house near the park. Thanks to the ridiculously small amount Peace Corps gave me for my furnishings, and considering this was a completely unfurnished house, I’ve had to take my own money out to pay for the majority of my stuff—but it’s worth it. I am in a place where everything is mine. The bed is mine. The shampoo is mine. The decision of what to eat and when, is mine. The responsibility for cooking and cleaning and burning trash is mine. I am so happy.

And it’s an actual house! A front porch, a living room, a BIG kitchen, TWO bedrooms, a bathroom with (cold) shower, a backyard with a banana tree and a shed, a latrine and my pila where I’ll wash my clothes and hang them on my line. The location is, I’ll admit, not as happening as my host family’s house, but it’ll be great to have a little distance between me and the bolos at the pool hall. All I need now is to learn how to cook my own food and wash the pila and burn trash without the house going up in flames. And I’ll need visitors. This means you. Come see this wonderful house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home