Wednesday, May 16, 2007

SITE! San José de Comayagua

I wrote a whole article about bolos in San José without actually mentioning that I´ve been in my site for nearly two weeks. I live in San José de Comayagua, which is a municipality of about 6500 (1100 of whom live in the urban area, the rest in rural villages called aldeas), and is considered a sub-developed area. Whatever that means… in general people get by, but poverty is definitely around. I work in the mayor´s office and the high school right now. Doing what, you ask? Not too much right now, I must say. But I´ll try to teach a class or two if I can, or work with this youth tourism group they´ve got here, or work with cooperatives, or the computer center, or a women´s group in the rural village. There is certainly no shortage of work to be had.

As for the town, the town is very quaint, with a tiny park with chickens and roosters roaming freely. People seem very nice so far, and very eager to compare me to past Peace Corps volunteers. I know much more than I should about these people I´ve never met—but it´s nice to know the community appreciated them.

The one computer center has pretty slow internet access, so it may be tough to write blog entries consistently, but I´ll try to nonetheless. There will be quite a lot to say… I´ve been in-country nearly three months now, and I still feel every day is a crazy adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home