Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My House/Fixer-Upper

I don´t mean to complain about this house a mere two weeks after moving in… I´m simply realizing more and more that living on one´s own in a well-worn house is not always what it´s cracked up to be. There is a nasty raw sewage smell emanating from the bathroom. I didn´t have water for nearly 5 days. The pila is crawling with mosquitos and the health center ran out of the little bags they sell to keep mosquitoes away. My backyard is a dump. The kicker, however, was Sunday night when a huge rainstorm came through and I realized my outdoor drain is completely clogged… a bit too late, as it turned out. Since the water had nowhere to go, it decided to head straight for the house… within 5 minutes the entire house was covered in brown rainwater. Hmm. Guess this wasn´t the palace I´d originally thought it was.

But it is still, indeed, all mine. And my old host mom is now my landlady, and seems willing to send people to check out the problems (or at least offer me my old room, and hot meals, and delicious/ridiculously sweet coffee every time I come to complain). And I´m happy nonetheless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lblog said...

That house is dilapidated
It's a fixer-upper's dreams.

That house is on fire
It's a motivated seller

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home