Monday, October 29, 2007

My kitty mugs.... resurrected!


Yes I wrote three paragraphs about a kitty mug. Read or don’t read, but do not judge me. It’s my blog.

Peace Corps material told me not to bring anything of sentimental value to my site, since it would probably get ruined or stolen while I was here. When I arrived in Honduras, I refused to listen to the advice of my brochure (what did Peace Corps know anyway) and brought my kitty mug. It was a Christmas gift from Mom, a huge handmade ceramic mug from Arizona with really cute fat kitties all over it. I drank coffee from that mug every morning for 18 months while working at AED, and with that mug I felt at home anywhere.

So my first month in San José, my host mom decided to hang my mug on a rack above the counter. Except she didn’t think that the miniscule hook might be too small for my enormous mug. So one day it fell, and made a big crack, and I was upset but still used the mug every day. Three months later, I was standing over the kitchen sink in my house, coffee in hand, when my kitty mug suddenly collapsed and SHATTERED in a million pieces. The crack got too big to hold the hot coffee, and my sentimental mug was destroyed. I won’t deny it, I cried a river for this mug. Pathetic that a mug served as my touchstone, but it was true. Was nothing sacred? If first the mug, what else would Honduras take away? My sense of self? My sanity? My SOUL?!?!

I had to calm down. So I picked up the pieces of my mug-- and my life-- and tried to move on. Three weeks later I’m in a store in Tegucigalpa, when what do I see but a set of his and her KITTY MUGS!!! I could have been struck dead right then and would have died a happy girl with a full life. I was so happy (and so embarrassed at how happy I was, but whatever) that I immediately bought the mugs and felt that a new chapter in my life had begun. Since then, I really feel I can take on anything Honduras throws at me. Dengue, malaria, facial fungus, rabid dogs, crime, violence, ANYTHING. Bring it on! With me and my mugs, I’m unstoppable.

Unstoppable!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home