Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ups and Downs

Life in Peace Corps is a series of emotional peaks and valleys. It’s giddiness, depression, anger, boredom and elation in a 15-minute sequence. I think this might be what manic depression would feel like… I guess it takes a 2-year commitment in a random Honduran town to do that to a person.

Since my 6 day stint in Tegus with a “viral infection” (i.e. the we-don’t-know-what-it-is-so-we’ll-call-it-a-viral-infection illness), I’ve been back in San Jose for about two weeks. Here are a few examples of the highs and lows:

HIGH: within an hour of arriving at the house I received 4 visitors AND my Ipod which my friend had fixed for me. Amazing!
LOW: the friend who fixed the Ipod didn’t even notice I’d been away for nearly a week
HIGH: next-door neighbor made me tea for my cough
LOW: a quick check of my kitchen showed that I was missing my sugar, bread, cooking oil and the Dove liquid soap my Aunt Denise sent me. I swear it was there when I left… where could they have gone? I loved that soap.
HIGH: a frantic check of my belongings showed that my bigger ticket items were still intact
LOW: a rainstorm came through and sent brown water surging through my house, yet again
HIGH: my old host sister came to help me clean up… and this girl can CLEAN
LOW: while cleaning I noticed a figure watching us from the bushes. I immediately felt gross thinking it was my creepy bolo neighbor
HIGH: it was actually the bolo neighbor’s nephew, the totally harmless high school kid who wanted to say hi
LOW: my group of high school girls didn’t practice their flag routine while I was away and the flag squad was forced to disband; I also cancelled teaching my business simulation at the high school due to exams and a million events and holidays that would disrupt class
HIGH: no hard feelings!
LOW: I woke up this morning to the sound of bottle rockets going off right outside my front porch. Nice.
HIGH: I woke up at 8am to get to work at 8:15. Very nice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

At least you're keeping your sense of humor! Miss you!

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home