Monday, February 11, 2008

Feliz aniversario

Well as of thsi Sunday it will be one full year since I arrived here in Honduras. I can barely fathom how or where the time has gone... day to day the hours and minutes sometimes crawl by, but then I look at the calendar and I realize I´ve been here a YEAR. It´s nuts.

About this time in a Volunteer´s service, they start to feel a bit (or a LOT) disillusioned about the whole idea of making lasting change in a community. This feeling has hit me pretty hard, which has surprised me because it proves just how many expectations I had when going into this. So it´s kind of my fault since I should have had NO expectations going in. Stinks.

At this time I really hope to work on the following for the next year and three months in Peace Corps service:

Tourism: despite the limited marketing and almost nonexistant infrastructure of the San José caves, tourists still come! And they love the caves! I really would like to help the youth tourist group with organization, marketing, price analysis of their tourist packages and maybe even technical English classes on cave terms. Unfortunately they rarely invite me to meetings, and the last time I talked to one of the guides he got mad at me because I asked where the money went (what the tourists paid). I was just curious, and he assumed I was accusing him of stealing money. Whoops.

Libraries: training new municipal librarian on the Dewey Decimal system, basic maintenance of the library, etc. Trying to keep her from falling asleep whenever I talk to her about the library. Also I hope to plan story hours in the school to encourage them to go to any of the three libraries currently operating in town.

High school: I´d like to give a business simulation in the high school, continue holding English conversation classes with the English teacher, and work with the computer program to get more computers for the lab. No more teaching colorguard for me, I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home