Friday, August 03, 2007

Gastronomic Delights of Honduras

Honduras is not known for its cuisine. On the whole, the food is caloric and filling. If you like beans and corn tortillas this is the place to be. That said there are some delicious diamonds in the rough of Honduran food:

Pupusas: these are actually Salvadoran but the influence of the neighboring country had its effect on the Honduran palate. Take corn “masa,” stick some white cheese and/or meat inside and fry fry fry. As DCites well know, you can also find these anywhere in Adams Morgan.

Baleadas: refried beans on a flour tortilla, with optional cheese, meat, veggie mix called “chismol,” avocado or mayonnaise. The tortilla makes or breaks the baleada. When making beans remember to add at least half a pound of lard. Mmmm lard.

Campesino spaghetti: essentially spaghetti with a lot of fat thrown in, from butter to mayonnaise (or its creamier cousin mantequilla) to ketchup to oil to hot dogs and more butter. God forbid you throw in extra vegetables; I tried this when cooking with the neighbors and they nearly had a heart attack.

Chicken with rice: I remember this dish from Costa Rica and I am thrilled that it is here in Honduras. Essentially pulled chicken is mixed with rice, various spices, corn, green peppers, carrots and onions. I made this last night with my next-door neighbor. Delicioso.

Tajadas: Cut and fried plantains. Some street vendors mix them with cabbage and ketchup, stick them in a tiny chip bag and sell them for about a quarter each.

Tacos: not your typical corn U-shaped tacos, these are smaller tortillas wrapped all the way around the meat inside and fried until crispy and oozing with grease.

There are also a number of recipes for corn on the cob, as well as coconut, which are all very delicious. And mostly fat-filled. Detect a theme? With my stomach parasite cleared out of my system, the food is finally catching up to me, and I feel like a walrus after every meal.

It’s nice to have my own kitchen and make steamed broccoli and apple slices to compensate for my not having eaten fruits or vegetables for the first 5 months in Honduras; however, as most folks in San José tend to express hospitality in the form of food and Fanta soda, I’m still consuming gallons of grease and sugar every day. Also, I can never say no to food. It is customary, from what I’ve been told, to always say yes to food. It may come from the uncertainty of where the next meal will come from, or maybe it’s just a mysterious cultural norm, but one must always say yes to food or it´s an insult, and the person will never offer anything to you again.

So when I come home this Christmas, expect a rounder and tubbier Maureen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home