Thursday, February 14, 2008

Books a Million

Since my TV burnt out in December (due to the Pepsi truck snapping my cable while the TV was connected) and I live in the boonies where TV fixers do not come by very often, I have been reading up a storm. Since arriving in country I´ve gotten up to 28, and considering the average American reads two pleasure books a year I think that´s quite a bit. Although I also do not have a 40-hr a week job, or very many friends... but I certainly have a LOT of down time!

Here are a few of my favorites so far:

White Oleander by Janet Finch. A self-centered, brilliant poet is imprisoned for murdering her deadbeat boyfriend, and her poor neglected daughter is sent to foster care. Adventures ensue! I love it mostly because I´m a sucker for Oprah book club books.

Dry by Augusten Burroughs. I also read Running with Scissors, but I like this one much better. A man´s hilarious/heartbreaking journey to sobriety. Again, adventures ensue!

The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer. I think this book should be read by any American who has a passport. Written in the 50s and still relevant today, it describes the ugly behavior of Americans abroad and the hero of them all (a physically ugly American) who actually takes time to live in a community, listen to the locals´ ideas and promoting a small-scale project built on their initiative and management. It resonated with me... for some reason...:)

Alex Dogboy by Monica Zak. This is actually a book in Spanish in our municipal library. It accounts the true story of a boy who lives at the dump in Tegucigalpa. Adventures...you guessed it... ensue!!!!!!!!

Message in a Bottle by Nicolas Sparks. His writing style is simple to the point of sounding silly (she goes to the fridge and opens it, she wonders what to take out, she eventually chooses a bottle of water, she closes the fridge), but the storyline is romantic and sweet. A good beach read... and yes I know you´re all jealous, I take beach trips in February!!! :)


oh by the way, HAPPY VALENTINE´S DAY!!!! In Honduras it´s the Day of love AND friendship, which I like sooo much more. Have a great day, all my wonderful fam and friends, acquaintances, well-wishers, and random folks who come across my blog.


And of course Chocho...... feliz día amor, te quiero muchísimo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home