Monday, March 31, 2008

Semana Santa

I’ve waited a few weeks to write because, simply, there was nothing going on. Last week was Semana Santa, the week before Easter when everything shuts down. Last week was also the feria in San José, which celebrates the town’s patron saint. Unlike the rest of Honduras which headed to the beaches, I stayed in my town to see what this much-anticipated feria was all about. The highlights included:





A greased pole



My friend losing the competition for queen of the fair (some chick with a lisp ended up winning… whatever)



the local crazy dancing a little jig



Folkloric dance




Mugigangas (kids wearing womens clothing and gorilla masks who grab children and dance with them)-- notice the woman dancing with one mugiganga in a pink floor-length jacket. That would be the high school principal.




and a little whirling swing ride set up right in front of my house, which resulted in lots of kids crawling on my porch and leaving trash everywhere.





In all it was nice to see, but I’m thinking the beach next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home